Tigris.org Community Scope
- Tigris.org is a mid-sized open source community focused on building better tools for collaborative software development.
- You will not find thousands of unrelated projects here: every project fits into the Tigris mission.
- You will not find dead projects here: every project is welcomed into the community with a commitment to see
it through and active developers cycle among related projects.
- Tigris.org is hosted by CollabNet, but the Tigris mission is one for the entire open source movement and one
that has attracted senior open source developers from many organizations.
The Tigris Mission: Building Open Source Software Engineering Tools
Tigris.org provides information resources for software engineering
professionals and students, and a home for open source software
engineering tool projects.
Software engineering practices are key to any large development
project. Unfortunately, software engineering tools and methods are
not widely used today. Even after over 30 years as a engineering
profession, most software developers still use few software
engineering tools. Some of the reasons are that tools are expensive
and hard to learn and use, also many developers have never seen
software engineering tools used effectively.
The open source software development movement has produced a number
of very powerful and useful software development tools, but it has
also evolved a software development process that works well under
conditions where normal development processes fail. The software
engineering field can learn much from the way that successful open
source projects gather requirements, make design decisions, achieve
quality, and support users. Open source projects are also a great
for developers to keep their skills current and plug into a growing
base of shared experience for everyone in the field.
Invitation to contributors
We believe that software engineering tools are worth doing because
they advance the state of our profession and help people practice
better development. If you feel the same way, you are already part
of our team.
Your next step is to browse the projects,
drill down into their current activity, choose where you want to help,
then introduce yourself and get down to work.
Start your project in this fertile valley
If you have an idea for a project that fits the Tigris.org mission,
we would love to see it. Here is what you need to do:
- Register as a new user
- Make sure your project fits the Tigris Mission (above) and the
New Project Requirements
- Check the projects page
to make sure a similar project doesn't already exist —
it's always better to join an existing project,
or revive one that looks quiet, than to start a new one
- Send email to project-proposal:
- If your idea fits, we will create the project,
make you the project owner,
and make it visible to everyone
- Get started on developing it right away
- If you don't hear back from us in a week or so,
send us a reminder